Monday, May 21, 2012

Pity Party

Well I had every intention of posting the details of our recent move here on Stella's page but things got out of hand early on and haven't quite settled even now, a week on into our transition. The Cliff's Notes version is this: I had everything I own except the bare essentials (dog toys, clothes, computer, cameras and the food that was in the refrigerator) moved into storage. I hired Music City Movers to do this for me. That was a mistake I regretted half an hour in but I don't want to talk about it because then I'd be forced to relive it.

The Thursday prior to our move I took Stella to the vet for a rabies shot that was two months overdue. I didn't want to get one at all and even asked the vet once if she would sell me the tag which is completely illegal and of course she refused however, this time they stuck her, charged me the $24. and THEN SAID:
"They've recently changed the law in Tennessee so she won't have get another shot for three years."
In other words, we could have skipped the thing for two more years legally but they wanted the $24. Then, I made the second mistake and bought a single dose of Advantage topical flea medicine.

We got to the new house (which is spectacular btw) and began unpacking a little bit and getting settled in and Stella seemed to be having the time of her life. Even the cat was cool about the whole thing. Then on Thursday I gave her the flea medicine - just in case. I didn't want her bringing any rogue fleas into the new place. It belongs to friends, and I've agreed to house and garden sit for 6-8 months.

When she started itching I thought it was because the fleas were on to us. I had no idea that the next five days would be fraught with vomiting and diarrhea, listlessness, swelling, and trembling, hives and what can only be described as mental breakdown. She was feverish and delirious, running into walls to get away from the itch. At one point I opened the front door and she ran outside, down the steps and out into traffic. She just missed getting hit by a car. As some might suspect that led to my very own personal breakdown.

During all of this craziness, she also managed to adopt a variety of neurotic behaviors. She didn't drink any water except out of a flower pot in the backyard but oops, then she was afraid to go out the back door, or into the kitchen or up the front steps. She spent time licking the floor. She's only eaten twice since last Thursday. I went for Benedryl on Friday. That actually gave her some relief but since then she appears to have a runny nose. I'd take her to the vet but now that she's improving I'm sure they'll want to give her a steroid shot, why is that the answer to everything? Thanks but no thanks. I knew things were going south when she climbed up in my lap and laid down on my chest.  

So that's the short story. What I had hoped would be a big fun time, turned into a nightmare eluding to the fact once more that the power of positive thinking is bullshit - just in case anyone wondered.

UPDATE: Just so as not to leave everyone floating in a black hole - I believe as of about four-thirty this afternoon (but for the runny nose) Stella appears to be recovered and has mostly reverted to her regular self. It's been a long few weeks and despite my ranting there are wildly fun things in our future over here; on the other side of the river. We promise to avoid having a big pity party next time.

Here is part of our new (temporary) bathroom with the stained glass window which is not only beautiful but genius. 


Gnightgirl said...

Poor Stella. That flea stuff scares me, I thought I killed my cat the last time I used it. I'm glad she feels better; looking forward to your upcoming adventures!

Susan Rose said...


Poor YOU!!!

Do you know if she's allergic to the flea med, or was the problem due to the combo of flea med and vaccine?

I love the photos! Stella looks great in her new home.

Lynn (in Louisiana) said...

Thank goodness Stella is better.

Kari in Vegas said...

Oh thats just no fun. Poor Stella (and you)

Stop on by for a visit

Beth said...

I think I'm glad I didn't know about any of this until you and Stella were past it. I sure hope she's 100% again, and that you have recovered your equalibrium, too.

2 Punk Dogs said...

That sucks! Glad things are getting better. Maggie has a bad reaction to Advantix, but Frontline has been good so far. The vet gave us the newest version of Frontline & I'm a little afraid to try it. The tick situation is bad here, so we need to use it, especially as Duke had Lyme disease already.

2 Punk Dogs said...

The last picture is amazing! Are you living in a castle?

susan said...

Thanks for all the nice comments/concern. Sorry we've been away for a few crazy weeks. I kept getting halfway through a post and then thinking of ten other things I needed to pack. I'm really glad that part is over temporarily. 2PD's: "Yes" on the castle; it's a figurative castle but still.. lots of nice backdrops in our future.

sp said...

how. horrifying. i thought you had my deepest sympathies at the mention of bad movers, but - stella! miserable and confused and RUNNING INTO TRAFFIC!!!!!!!!

well, i'm glad things are finally looking up again. to much much much much better days!