Saturday, February 5, 2011

How-deeee!



Sorry to interrupt our regularly scheduled programming but there is still the matter of Minnie Pearl. Some of you may remember that back in August, I confiscated a young mama cat and her three kittens from a neighbor who, when originally asked about having her cat spayed, looked at me like I was an idiot and said: "There aren't any male cats around here."

Then one day she called me up shocked and said: "Susan, something happened; there are kittens all over my dining room."

"Really [insert name here]?"

"And, I didn't even know she was pregnant!"

"Must have been immaculate conception," I said.

"Go ahead, say I told you so - but I'm going to need you to take them up to the pound." [she's disabled] "When they're big enough," she added.

"Sorry, can't help you there." I said.

"You won't do it?"

"Kill a litter of kittens? No, I won't."

"They wouldn't kill them," she said, "they're kittens!"

Two weeks later, she called back and pretending like we hadn't had this conversation, she told me again how cute the kittens were and asked me to come and take them to Animal Control. I advised her to flush the kittens down the toilet and cut out the middle man. (Note: just in case anyone reading this thinks I'm serious - please think again) I was hoping to enrage her in the same way her stupidity had enraged me. I saw this entire scene play out in my mind the first time she ever showed me her new kitten eight months earlier. She shamed me for suggesting such a thing and said she could never hurt kittens. I assured her that she already had but agreed to come and get them on condition that she give me the mama cat too; the cat she presumably loved.

Ten minutes later, all four of them were living in my basement. That was August.

Roy, Buck, and Lulu were adopted less than two weeks after I got them vetted and placed at PetSmart. Minnie Pearl who grew into a beautiful adult, is still waiting. She has spent a lot of time (thanks to Nashville Cat Rescue) at Hundred Oaks and Cool Springs and a couple of weeks ago, I brought her home for a cage break. Stella and Gigi (my cat) made her feel insecure at first but she's slowly getting the hang of things. She's made friends with Domino, our neighbor cat who spends the night occasionally and they play together running through the house like little banshees. It sends Stella to the moon.

I say all that to say this: If you or anyone you know is looking for a cat with a big personality, a history and some real potential, I can hook you up.
Pass it on.

8 comments:

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Minnie Pearl is beautiful! If I was a cat person, and Stumpy a cat-loving dog and we were any where near by, we'd definitely be fighting some urges!

Two Pitties in the City said...

She is so beautiful! Hope she finds a home soon.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful cat. glad you saved the others, thanks! hope you can find her a home soon.

Susan Rose said...

Minnie Pearl almost changes my preference for short-haired cats. She's a beautiful girl. Don't you love the sound of them racing around the house after dark? (Thundering pitty-pats and rolling toys!) That brings back memories.

Thanks for shaming your neighbor. She deserves it.

Beth said...

Hope MP finds a home soon. She's gorgeous. I met a bloodhound puppy once named Minnie Pearl. It was in Wisconsin and she already had a home, but I sure did want to sneak her in the car with me and take her to Florida.

Carey Brown Strombotne said...

Insert name here- all I could think of was, Dumbass.
I miss having kitties, but cannot take anything else on right now. Hopefully, there will be kitties in my future!

SusanA said...

That girl makes me rethink the short hair preference too. I've never much cared for long hair on cats but hers is pretty wonderful. Wish my highlights were half as good :)

Kari in Alaska said...

Thanks so much for stopping by our blog! We are now following you and would love if you would follow us too!

I sure hope she finds a home soon!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/