Thursday, September 23, 2010

Canine tourism


I still have a few posts from Baltimore (and beyond). Locals won't be too impressed by the tourist type pictures but it was such a treat to be able to walk a few blocks to the harbor from where we stayed that I did it repeatedly. It was actually pretty sweet, as tourist districts go. They seemed to have all the right ingredients: music, food, water, boat rides, a fountain for the kids to play in, dragon boats to pedal (I wanted to take Stella out on one of them (what a photo op that would've been) but the line was too long and I doubt she would've been allowed anyway. It's funny but of everything in and around the harbor, those were what fascinated her most.



On the far side, just below Federal Hill there was a carousel with dogs and other animals on it as well. I took a photo of it and realized that for the first time in nineteen years, the fair was setting up back home in Nashville and I wasn't there. Good thing we were in Baltimore or I might have been missing it a lot more.

Federal Hill overlooks the harbor and it's a great view too. We hung out up there while we waited for the tour boat to arrive. Again, Watermark Cruises was the only tour I could find that would let Stella ride along. It was a forty-five minute cruise for fifteen bucks. For a dog that can be kind of skiddish on a slick surface, she did an amazing job of climbing the steps between decks. I wasn't the only one stunned by her willingness to descend the nearly vertical steps. We never made it to Little Italy and I'm really sorry about that. Well okay, we did do a drive-by - but it'll have to wait until the next visit if there ever is one.

7 comments:

Two Pitties in the City said...

I don't know much about Baltimore, so I loved seeing your pictures. The photos look great.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Great photos of a city I have not been to either. Stelly looks a little bored with it all..funny how she was attracted to those dragon boats! Love to know what goes on in our dog's heads!

BaltimoreGal said...

So glad you came to visit! MY Stella loves it here as well.

SusanA said...

Thanks, Baltimore Gal, we're sorry not to have met you and Stella! That would've made for a really fun post. To be honest I forgot to do several things I had planned on. Next time tho'...

Colleen, I think Stella was bored as much with the (same old) camera as anything; so much other stuff to look at, people to pet etc :)

TPC: If you ever do go, seriously you should take the dogs and plan ahead (for good prices on hotels) It would have been a little easier with two people as far as driving, getting food but we had a lot of fun and once you're out of downtown, there seem to be dogs out everywhere.

Susan Rose said...

These aren't the typical "historic Baltimore" photos. Who would have known the city was so down to earth and fun?

BaltimoreGal said...

Well you got to meet John AND Ace so that is a good start!
Here's a side of John with MY Stella that you probably didn't expect...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i2CJhI0FNVs/SygVolKbK0I/AAAAAAAABLc/tuKGJQFJc3o/s1600-h/Christmas+Card.bmp

(Yes, he was Santa!)

susan said...

Stop it!!! You're kidding me right? That's too funny and I'm shocked he didn't mention it. I saw that picture way back when I first followed you on twitter, thought it was great then, this makes it even better, thanks :)