Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Charm City



Dorothy, we're not in Kansas anymore.... With all due respect to Tom Bodett and that Motel 6 we stayed at in Virginia, we got to Baltimore and it's like we won the lottery. Call me Eloise, I want to live here. Stella is obviously a big city girl in disguise too. She cuts a rug on city streets and elevators, in alleys and swanky hotels. She's already gotten to know the bellmen and exactly where that treat bowl is in the lobby. Check it out, it has her name on it. These people clearly have our number.

We got a spectacular deal online at the Hotel Monaco, in fact it was so good I decided to stay in Baltimore an extra day. So far (it's been a whopping 24 hrs.) it's been a fabulous experience. More later. But not before crab cakes and a water taxi ride around the inner harbor.

p.s. There's Barney in the chair. We went to the cemetery this morning, found his mother's grave, and scattered most of his ashes there. I'm in love with Baltimore already. Little Italy has our name all over it. Also, I recommend traveling on the Sunday and Monday of Labor Day weekend. It was truly the easiest drive ever. The only drawback was the Beltway which is absolutely LAWLESS. Those of you who live in the Baltimore/Washington area already know this but you people who live in oh... say Nashville, Tennessee - don't know the first thing about traffic problems. That last forty miles getting here was the only rough part of the trip. Stella rode it in the floorboard of the back seat.

4 comments:

Two Pitties in the City said...

I love that first photo and your Eloise write up. We've never actually traveled far with the dogs, and if we do we just go camping. I'm actually a bit more nervous about driving through a BSL county, but maybe one day we'll all get to travel too.

Beverly said...

Great post! So glad y'all arrived safely and are having fun.

R.I.P. Barney...

Susan Rose said...

Stella looks so cute with her little doggie self sitting on the clean white sheet.

You've raised her well. She's a classy girl who fits in almost anywhere.

Susan Rose said...

Hi, Susan. Because of your "Tom Bodett" link, I've ordered one of his books. My sister spent time in Alaska, so she'll be interested in his "End of the Road" stories. I didn't know Tom Bodett was a writer and radio personality. I thought he was merely the friendly voice for Motel 6.